I just happen to appreciate mine more than anyone else's...

Sunday, September 27, 2009

"And You Miss, Are No Lady"

Not a whole lot to report on. Well that's a lie. I've been doing things, just not big things.

Yesterday I went to the Road to Tara Museum in Joooooonesboro, Georgia. Jonesboro is an interesting place, to put it mildly. The old railroad depot of the town has been converted to their Visitors Bureau, as well as the "official" Gone With the Wind museum. Very much a small Southern town, where the War Between the States is taken quite seriously. I think I read the phrase "The Civil War" ONCE. Every other time it was "The War Between the States." Because there was nothin' CIVIL about it. Welcome to Georgia.

Here, learn:
  • Margaret Mitchell wrote GWTW as a literary tribute to her ancestral home
  • Margaret based her description of Tara on her grandparent's home, The Fitzgerald House, which was located in Jonesboro county on Tara Road. *connect the dots, people*
I brought a camera, but when I arrived I discovered there was no memory card, sadly. I wasn't too heartbroken, though. The costumes on display were only reproductions, which were lovely but I wanted to see the real green ecru silk organza Barbeque Dress, the green Portieres Dress and the Burgundy Velvet Birthday Party Dress. There were still neat things in the little museum, though. Original props from the film and personal items from Margaret Mitchell.

I watched Gone With the Wind for the first time on a rainy Saturday when I was in 3rd grade. I remember it completely. My mom has a brick from Loews Theatre in Atlanta where the 3-day premiere event was held. She's read the book 6 times, I've only read it once. (Though now might be a good time to re-visit it). I ADORE Gone With the Wind.

Scarlett is all the woman I want to be. Tough as nails, opinionated, not afraid to work hard,not afraid to be ungraceful and not afraid to use her feminine wiles to get her way.

She was the original Fierce Bitch.

Bow down.

1 comments:

Lydia said...

Ashley Hall is an all girls' school in Charleston, South Carolina, founded in 1909 by Mary Vardrine McBee. It is the only girls' college-preparatory school in the state. Charleston legend has it that George Trenholm, the original owner of the McBee House, the mansion on the school property, was the man on whom Margaret Mitchell based the character Rhett Butler in her novel, Gone with the Wind.

Therein lies my connection to GWTW. I went to school at the real Rhett Butler's house. Woot woot.

Post a Comment