I just happen to appreciate mine more than anyone else's...

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Let's Go In Our Time Machine!

If you could go back in time to another decade, which decade would you choose and why? Would you want to return or stay there?

.vvvvv There are several different time periods I would want to experience, but for different reasons. And there are corresponding reasons why I wouldn't want to be in those time periods as well (at least knowing what I know today). Let's go in chronological order, shall we?

1860's- Really, I think I just want to be Scarlett O'Hara. And wear hoop skirts and eat "bahhhbecque" with Southern men, and have a Mammie (sorry for the political incorrectness. sue me). But actually, I rather like modern electricity and indoor plumbing and from what I've heard the smell of gangrene does not sound like a fun time.

1920's- Prohibition Schmohibition. I would have been a booze smuggler. In with the best of the worst rum runners this side of Chicago. And probably a mafia girlfriend on the side. With a beaded & sequined flapper dress as well. All very Velma Kelly (look it up).

1960's- Obviously. Free love, flower children, ample psychodelic drugs, counterculture, creative expression, The Mamas and the Papas, Hendrix; Summer of Love '67. I'm so there.

1970s Era #1: Fuckin' Rock & Roll 70s- Bell bottoms, fur vests, CCR, Derek and the Dominos (look it up), men with great facial hair, The Rolling Stones etc etc etc. All very Almost Famous. Just unadulterated rock and roll. I'm into jam bands and all that, but goddamnit I do not have the patience for 20 minute rambling songs with no lyrics (I'm looking at you Grateful Dead and everyotherbandthelastboyidatedlistento). Give me a good beat, a guitar lick, a 5 minute time track and I'm a happy girl.

1970s Era #2: To Hell in a Disco Handbasket- 2 words: STUDIO. 54. I would have reveled in this. Gay men, trannies, dancing until 10am, Halston disco dresses, platforms, LIZA effing MINELLI, public sex on the upstairs balcony, can't get in the door unless you're gorgeous (or on the list); it was like modern-day Greek Hedonism. With a better wardrobe.

But I rather like where we are today. I enjoy my iPod and DVR, hot showers, modern medical care, gchat, Facebook, SBux.
I think we always look back on the past with idealized rose tinted glasses. You never know how good something is right when you're in the middle of it. People in Haight Ashbury circa 1967 were just living their life, not knowing they were contributing to the upheaval of modern mainstream political, sexual, cultural and musical theories. Maybe right now we're in the middle of a similar situation. PRETTY GROOVY, huh??

Okay I hope we all enjoyed that. I've been neglecting you poor souls. I've been working like mad at the deli the past 4 days. My feet hurt, my back hurts and I swear to God I'm developing wrinkles under my eyes. I've been posting funny little pictures and things, but I felt like I needed to post something with substantial words.

I hope you all are having splendiferous weekends!

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment